- Boise Dispatch
- Central Idaho Dispatch
- Coeur d'Alene Dispatch
- Eastern Idaho Dispatch
- South Central Idaho Dispatch
- Grangeville Dispatch
- Payette Dispatch
- Current Wildland Fire Info
- Idaho Fire Restriction Information
- Fire Prevention & Safety Tips
- RX Fire
- Fuels and Fire Danger
- NWS Fire Weather
- Sammy Quest to Save the West Activity Book! COMING SOON!!
Sunday, May 1, 2016
May is -Wildfire Awareness Month- Plan. Prepare. Prevent.
Eight western governors, including Idaho’s Governor C.L. “Butch” Otter, have proclaimed May “Wildfire Awareness Month. Throughout the month, residents are encouraged to learn how to better protect their homes and communities from wildfire, and how they can help firefighters reduce the number of human-caused fires. In Idaho, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has chosen to focus on the theme: “Plan-Prepare-Prevent.”
These three simple words are meant to serve as helpful reminders for the public. Plan on becoming Firewise by identifying the hazards around your home. Prepare by creating survivable space to protect your home. And Prevent wildfires this summer by using caution with anything that can cause a spark.
Multiple activities are planned across the state to help educate and prepare residents for the upcoming fire season. These activities include informative tours at Firewise gardens and educational classes at selected nurseries. These tours and presentations will be offered free of charge by Idaho BLM and Idaho Firewise.
· May 6th – North End Organic Nursery, educational presentation begins at 6:00 PM
· May 7th - Firewise Garden Open House/Tour at the Idaho Botanical Gardens from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
· May 21st – 36 Street Garden Center, educational presentation begins at 11:00 AM
· May 25th – Farwest Landscape, educational presentation begin at 6:00 PM
· May 13th - Firewise Garden Demonstration at the Zoo in Pocatello, Idaho, time TBD
· May 14th - Town & County Garden Center in Idaho Falls, 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM, educational presentation begins at 10:00 AM
· May 20th – Firewise Garden Open House/Tour at the CSI Breckenridge Endowment Farm from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
· May 21st – Webb Nursery, 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM , educational presentation begins at 11:00 AM
· May 24th – Green Things Nursery in Orofino, educational booth will be available starting at 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM
· May 25th – Green Acres Nursery in Grangeville, educational booth will be available starting at 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Additionally, the National Fire Protection Association identified May 7 as National Wildfire Community Preparedness Day.